Once upon a time in a land kinda-far away lived the God of wine and pleasure by the name of Dionysus. He was a confident God in constant pursuit of a new suiter, legend has it that he had his eyes on a lovely maiden by the name of Amethyste. The maiden denied his constant advances and prayed to be transformed into stone to be rid of the God’s pestering advances, her prayers were immediately answered and she became a statue of radiant clear quartz. Dionysus discovered the maiden-quartz and poured red wine onto it which stained the stone a radiant purple. The purple quartz was renamed amethyst which translated to mean “not intoxicated”. Dionysus took credit for the beautiful crystal and claimed that it possessed powers of sobriety.
From that day on, Greek royals would attend parties drinking from vessels made of amethyst, they would cloak themselves with jewelry embedded with said crystal convinced that they would stay clear-headed as they drank deep. The stone was rare and highly-valued, however, as the centuries rambled on so did the discovery of more amethyst, a lot more amethyst in various parts of the world. The vast availability of the violet quartz made it more accessible to people of all ranks. While admiration of amethyst remained, its properties evolved beyond the belief of a mere hangover cure. Read on to learn about 10 more things you didn’t know about amethyst.
10 More Things you Didn’t Know about Amethyst
- Amethyst is February’s birthstone and the 6th-anniversary gemstone
- Facilitates meditation and stimulates the third and crown chakra
- Aids with brain fog and clarity
- Is said to help open psychic channels and assist with spiritual communication
- Helps maintain balance and enhance immunity
- Induces peace, serenity, and temperament
- Used to help heal addictive behavior and self-destructive patterns
- Amethyst elements are air and water
- The colors of amethyst can vary from light violet with pinkish hues to deep concord-purple
- Amethyst is also known as the stone of protection and wisdom
How to Harness the Powers of Amethyst
- Wear It - Wearing Amethyst in the form of necklaces, bracelets, pins, rings and earrings is not only alluring, it is also the easiest way to enhance immunity, protection and dull self-destruction due to its direct skin contact
- Meditate with it – Place raw or polished chunks of amethyst on your third chakra (between the navel and base of the sternum) and crown chakra( top of the head) while you meditate and recite positive affirmations
- Home Décor – You can find bowls, figurines, vases, tables and other such décor made out of amethyst, place them beautifully around your home to help maintain balance and positivity.